*And three minutes
Truth? I'd rather have finished by midnight, but...completing a sweater in an extremely compressed timeline is still kind of a kick. If I'd made any number of different decisions, I would have finished with a bit of time to spare, but knitting is one small part of life, even when you make a plan for it to take over the bulk of a few days.
Here's what my four days looked like:
Sunday -- I got up at 5:30 or so, and cast on at about 6:00. I showered and got ready for work fairly early, as it was the 39th running of The Runner Stumbles, and I like to go watch my husband compete in local races when I can, because I usually can't. I knit before and during the race, then reached a place where I needed to concentrate more than I could there. At 11:00, I left for work. Since Sunday is a Social Stitching day, I was able to get a fair amount of knitting done then. I returned home, and by the time I went to bed, I had knit to the sleeve divide.
Monday -- My knitting day started shortly after 6:00, and with a few yoga breaks and some household chores, continued for most of the day. I listened to some podcasts, and watched episodes of The Great British Sewing Bee (there are episodes on both YouTube and Daily Motion). After knitting about six rows, I returned to the sleeves and knit them first, which I prefer when possible so there is less total fabric to turn around and around. I finished one sleeve, and knit to the ribbed cuff on the second before stopping for the day.
Tuesday -- I worked on the second sleeve before leaving for work, then worked on the body off and on through the day. Fellow Beekeepers Diane and Andrea came by the shop to work on their sweaters for awhile. I picked up a take & bake pizza on the way home, and continued knitting through the evening. I didn't get quite as far as I hoped, but, working...whatcha gonna do?
Wednesday -- On my final KAL day, I decided to tag along to another local race my husband was running in. As long as I didn't have to drive, it was about the same amount of knitting time. I started the day about midway through the body, with the rest of the body length and the neckline and front trim left to complete. I lost some time when I picked up the neckline trim, as I was trying to make the cardigan fully reversible. The first method didn't work well, so I took it out. I finished the final bind off at 12:03, technically three minutes into my fifth day of knitting.
Thursday -- In addition to the twenty or so stitches that were bound off in the wee hours, I blocked the sweater, using a combination of wires and Knit Blockers. Coming off the needles, the sweater was about five inches narrower than the schematic, but because I had swatched, and blocked my swatch, I wasn't concerned. The sweater easily blocked to the finished schematic measurements.
Friday -- It was a pretty warm day, but I wore my new sweater over the Myosotis Dress I made from a bee print crepe de chine. Myosotis is the latin name for forget-me-nots, which are a very bee-friendly flower. Even without any sort of front closure, the excellent fit through the shoulders kept the cardigan in place all day. And while I'm not usually a three-quarter length sleeves enthusiast, these really kind of worked for me!